Celebranting your Wedding
These wedding preparation guidelines are intended to help Catholics who worship at Our Lady of the Rosary Church celebrate their wedding here. While these guidelines do not cover all the specific information about a Catholic marriage, these guidelines are structured to provide you with a broad outline that is common to most Catholic weddings.
Where will you be celebrating your marriage?
- Usually if you are going to celebrate your marriage at Our Lady of the Rosary, then all aspects of the preparation are done here. If you live outside the area, it is often possible that your preparation for marriage can be done at the parish that you attend.
- It is both customary and Church law to celebrate the Sacrament of Matrimony within the parish of either the bride or the groom, if both are Catholic. If only one is Catholic, the wedding is normally at the Catholic’s parish, although there is the possibility of celebrating it in the worship space of another faith tradition.
- If you are getting married in another Catholic Church or in the worship space of another faith tradition, it is possible to do your marriage preparation at Our Lady of the Rosary.
When do you plan to get married at our lady of the rosary?
- A tentative date may be set as early as the first contact with Our Lady of the Rosary. A tentative date only guarantees the time and date of the wedding so that no one else will be able to select that time and date. The tentative date does not, however, guarantee the actual celebration of the marriage. Confirmation of the wedding ceremony takes place after the reception of the documents required to demonstrate readiness and freedom to marry and the marriage preparation program has been agree upon.
- Marriages should be scheduled six months in advance of the tentative date of the wedding.
- All documents must be at the parish, at least, 4 weeks before wedding.
A Determination of Readiness and Freedom to Marry
In order to determine that a couple is ready and free to marry in the Catholic Church, the couple must to do the following:
- Complete a “Pre-Nuptial Questionnaire” which will provide basic information which will help determine if the couple is ready and free to marry in the Catholic Church. This questionnaire is completed with the priest at the parish office.
- Catholics must obtain a recent copy of baptismal certificate, issued within six months of the marriage. Contact the church where you were baptized to issue a new Baptismal Certificate
- Other documents may be necessary once the Pre-Nuptial Questionnaire is completed. The priest will explain what additional documents will be needed.
Completion of Marriage Enrichment Program
Marriage preparation at Our Lady of the Rosary is intended to bring the couple to a deeper awareness of their relationship with each other, with their neighbours and with God.
- To receive the Sacrament of Marriage, Catholics are expected to participate in the life of the Church.
- All couples are required to attend, at least one of the following:
- Marriage preparation Day sponsored by the Family Life Education of the Syracuse Diocese. It is held at Notre Dame High School from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, meets once a month (except during the summer) and costs $75. The Registration Form and Schedule of Days are available at the parish office. Early sign-up is advisable.
- An Engaged Encounter Weekend internet search: cny engaged encounter.
- Prepare Pre–Marital Inventory (4 one hour meetings with the priest or marriage preparation team in the parish office.
The customary offering to the church is $250. This includes an offering to the parish and the priest. Please make check payable to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary and give it to the priest no later than at the rehearsal. Checks should be made out directly to the Church of our Lady of the Rosary and is due at the rehearsal.
If you wish to have our parish musicians (organist and\or cantor), the cost of the musicians is between couple being married and the type of music selected. You may bring your own musicians and singers but usually the parish musicians and singer is selected. (For example the church organist receives $150 and the cantor receives $150.
Dispensations and Decrees of Nullity (Marriage Tribunal fee)
If these documents are needed, the Diocese of Syracuse Tribunal who issues generally charges a service fee of about $100.00 each.
New york state marriage license
A civil license is required by New York State Law. This may be obtained from an city, village or town clerk. The license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the wedding ceremony and is valid for 60 days. Do not delay until the last minute obtaining your marriage license. The priest cannot witness a wedding without a New York State Marriage License.
The License Bureau will require identification and proof of age. Both bride and groom must apply in person, with proper identification. If either applicant has been previously married, exact date of last divorce, death or annulment must be provided.
The marriage license should be given to the priest at the wedding rehearsal. During the marriage ceremony, the marriage license will be signed. The parish priest will then mail it to the same location from which it was obtained.