Catholic Church Requirements
To be a godparent, a person must be:
- A baptized Catholic who has received the sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion and is practicing the Catholic faith.
- Mature enough to undertake the responsibility.
- A member of the Catholic Church canonically free to carry out this responsibility. If a person is married, the marriage must have been a Catholic marriage, not just a civil marriage. Catholics currently living in a marriage not considered valid by the Catholic Church or cohabitating are excluded from being a Godparent.
- Someone other than the father or mother, spouse or fiancé of the one who is to be baptized.
Godparent Commitment Form
- If you are going to be a godparent for a child who will be baptized at Our Lardy of the Rosary, please complete the “Godparent Commitment Form”, return it to the child’s parents who will forward it to Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church at least one week before the baptism.
- If you are going to be a godparent for a child who will be baptized in another parish which requires documentation, complete the “Godparent Commitment Form” along with name of Church and address where the child will be baptized at least 3 weeks before the baptisms. It is preferred that the godparent is a registered member of parish.